Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:52:51 +0530
From:      "Venkat C." <cvenkat@encanto.stpn.soft.net>
Subject:   Volano benchmark

Hi,

I refer to the JavaWorld Volano benchmark comparisons of i386-based JVMs
when running Server applications. During the benchmark tests, the
following scores were reported:

JDK 1.1.7 FreeBSD.............166 messages/sec
Blackdown JDK 1.1.7 Linux.....448 messages/sec

On my FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE machine (less powerful than the ones used in
the benchmark tests, otherwise all the operating parameters were
identical), I obtained a score of 148 messages/sec, i.e. close enough to
166. With the shuJIT JIT, I obtained a score of 226 messages/sec; with
TYA, 278 messages/sec.

I am curious to know why I didn't even come close to the score obtained
by the Blackdown JDK. Is it because the Blackdown JDK uses Linux native
threads?

Thanks for any light thrown.

Venkat