Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:26:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 65000+ accounts

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Feb 20), Nick Rogness said:
> > Will the ~65000 account maximum in the password file be increased for
> > 5.0 when it comes out?  If so, is it already in -CURRENT?  If not,
> > what are my other alternatives to using a standard password style
> > file/db to break through this barrier...NIS maybe?
>
> Where are you seeing this limit?  4.* has a max uid/gid limit of
> 4294967295.  It will warn you about uids greater than 65536, but you
> can suppress it according to the manpage:
>
> ENVIRONMENT
>      If the PW_SCAN_BIG_IDS environment variable is set, pwd_mkdb will
>      suppress the warning messages that are normally generated for
>      large user and group IDs.  Such IDs can cause serious problems
>      with software that makes assumptions about the values of IDs.

	Thank You.

> > On the same lines, will username length be increased from 16 ?
>
> I'm not sure there's a pressing need to make it any longer than that.
> Raising it makes the wtmp and accounting log files grow much faster,
> and I would guess most systems don't have very many usernames over 8
> chars, let alone nearing 16.

	No I guess they don't.  I do have a need for them but that is
	irrelevent.  Disk is cheap, who cares if wtmp grows faster :)

> You can always adjust it yourself by editing /usr/include/utmp.h and
> raising UT_NAMESIZE, then rebuilding world.

	Thank you.  I believed it was defined elsewhere also...thanks for
	the clarification.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets