Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:06:30 -0600
From:      "Peter W. Schmiedeskamp" <peter@spirit.lib.umt.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 10:03:13AM -0500, clemz wrote:
> In attempting to install Free BSD 4.4, I cannot get beyond the screen that says "Probing Devices, please wait (this may take a while)".
> There is no disk activity whatsoever. I have tried all three kernel configuration modes with the same result.
>     Suggestions, please. Thank You
> clemz

I reccommend the "Start Kernel Configuration in Fullscreen Visual
Mode"

From there, make sure that all all devices with a CONF beside
them are resolved.

Also, make sure to delete any unused devices that might be there.
For example on an ide-only system, you might want to remove all
the SCSI devices.  Similarly, for a system with a PCI nic or no
nic, you'll want to remove all the items in the "network"
section.

You might also want to check the handbook for info on this part
of the install.

-Peter