Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:06:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        do not use this address <dev.null@funbox.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, do not use this address wrote:

>IMO, trouble with [X]emacs is that you end up writing quite a bit of
>code to customise it, and personally I find other scripting languages
>(Perl, TCL, Python) more congenial than [e]lisp.  These days I use
>my own editor, written in TCL (expectk, actually).

From what i understand, although Lisp is a cryptic language at first,
it is supposedly easy to learn and is the language of choice for AI.
Also, AutoCAD has used it for years for extending its system and
allowing users to write extensions.  I always thought it was pretty
neat.  Of all the scripting languages, is there a simple way to sum up
the differences between Perl, TCL, and Python?  And what is expectk?

>But I still think that emacs is quite a nifty system...  Were it not
>for 'screen', I'd probably still be coding up the odd bit of elisp.

How do you use screen with emacs?  I have screen instllled, but
apparently i have missed its purpose.  I think i just used it for
something simple, then forgot about it.

>-- Tim Jackson

"Do not taunt the Happy Fun Ball."