Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:30:37 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Archiving directories / zip format

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:49:23 +0100
Hasse Hansson <hasse@thorshammare.org> articulated:

> >From time to time I want to archive a quite a few directories to
> download them conveniently. I have been using tar to do it, endingin
> up with a tar.gz file. But the problem with it is that I do not have a
> unix machine at home so if I want to extract something or unpack the
> content, there is no easy way to do that. My question basically is if
> there is a way to end up with a zip file? Or are there any windows
> tools to unzip and/or extract content from tar.gz files?

The basic "WinZIP" program <http://www.winzip.com/win/en/index.htm>; can
handle that. A list of all the formats supported is available here:
<http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/254>. I had the "7z" format added a few
years ago. Handling of the "xz" format should be included in the next
major update of the utility.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net