Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:15:51 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reboot - reproducible

Hi,
  I am not sure how the two are related, but I am getting extremely weird
problems when running the few commands below...  I get a bunch of accesses
to the drive, then input/ouput errors, then it refuses to unmount the
drive.  Once the drive has been mounted, it can never get unmounted, the
only way to unmount the drive is to remove the disk, turn off write
protection, then unmount.  Why is this?  It shouldn't be trying to write to
the disk on an unmount, especially since no changes have been attempted,
and no directories have been viewed.  It is like the drive isn't getting
it's input/output buffers reset, or possibly when the drive is mounted the
input/output buffers are getting marked dirty???  I haven't looked at code,
but what has changed in the last month??

Ben

At 10:53 AM 2/9/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>I think a relative of that can be seen with this:
>
># mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
># cd /mnt
># umount /mnt
>(oops)
># cd /
># umount /mnt
>
>>   I am able to reproduce this behavior as well.  In my case (3.0-STABLE
>> 2/8/1999) merely trying to write to a write-protected disk will cause a
>> reboot.  This is a _major_ problem, and is something that didn't exist
>> about 1 month ago when I CVSupped another server.  Anyone know what's
>> causing these reboots?  When mine reboots, I get:
>>
>> < messages about the disk being write protected >
>> panic: dirty buffers
>>
>> Syncing disks... 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 ...
>>
>> When I tried it with Ctrl-C I got:
>> < messages about the disk being write protected >
>> panic: dirty buffers
>>
>> Syncing disks... 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 ...
>>
>> Ben

>> >Perhaps this problem is related to another one I found recently: when
>> >trying to mount (R/W) a write protected unit (nobody is perfect :-) ),
>> >such as a diskette or a MO disk, the kernel complaints, but the
>> >mount succeeds anyway. After that, unmounting the device is not possible.
>> >A diskette can be manually ejected for removing the write protection,
>> >but a MO disk (I suppose that the same would happen using a ZIP)
>> >cannot be ejected :-(. My next action is remount R/O (mount -u -r)
>> >the device: more kernel messages. And after that, an umount ends with
>> >a panic ("dirty buffers") _always_.
>> >
>> >-- JMA
>> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
>> >Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@es.FreeBSD.ORG
>> >Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
>> >Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
>> >48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139

>>   Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant

>--
>\\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
>\\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
>\\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
>\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant