Date:      Sun, 26 May 1996 12:50:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        xaa@stack.urc.tue.nl, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp not detecting more than 1 tun device

> As Mark Huizer wrote:
> > Hmm... I mailed this using send-pr, but have never seen it appear in
> > buglists :-(
>
> I've seen it (but can't comment on this).

Hi,

I've seen this!  :-)

I grabbed the -current ppp code and stuck it on a 2.1R box.  The second ifc
was never found.

The problem lies within the code that searched /dev/tun%d for the next
device.  I believe my fix was to comment out the lines that read something
like

if (errno == ESOMETHINGOROTHER) {
	interface = MAXIF + 1;
	break;
}

and I believe the file was os.c.  It is not a correct fix, but the problem
was that the open() was returning that particular error (perhaps ENXIO) on
failure, although in reality it should probably have reported that the
device was busy.

I thought it was due to some mis-synchronization between -current code and
2.1R, so I didn't consider it a bug.

I would go look at my fix for real but it's behind a firewall.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968