Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 09:04:44 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-R server /var running out of inodes (not a usenet question)

	For future reference, you shouldn't crosspost to -questions and -isp.

Jim Weeks wrote:

> A little delayed reaction but something I have been thinking about for a
> while.
>
> The idea has been kicked around that 32mb for / and 20mb for /var is a
> little outdated.  Not only in this thread but previously.

	That depends on what you're doing with the machine. I use 256M for both
on my production machines. That leaves plenty of room for development
kernels, lots of log history, etc.

> The point is that I do feel it is silly to keep them so small in the days
> of multi gig drives, which brings me to ask.  In the days of 500mb to 1gig
> of Ram is the idea of doubling that in swap space still a good practice?

	You want at least up to the size of the installed ram, plus some so
that if you ever need to enable dumping there will be enough room.

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire