Date:      Tue, 02 Aug 2011 01:03:17 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        cpghost@cordula.ws
Cc:        yuri@rawbw.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg at 100%CPU when browser is on

"C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws> wrote:

> ... when mplayer plays some (rare) video files.
>
> Xorg then stays at 100% CPU, and it is impossible to kill it,
> neither from the inside, nor from the outside (logged in via
> ssh) with SIGKILL. Only a reboot helps here.

An unkillable process is almost certainly hung in a driver, and in
this case I would strongly suspect it is a video driver.  Can you
break to KDB (or get a dump) and get a ps listing and a traceback
of the hung process?  That may enable someone familiar with the
particular driver involved to debug it.