Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 15:11:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org (Daniel M. Eischen)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, grog@lemis.de
Subject:   Re: Corrupted CVS updates

> > I've been having the devil's own problems with ctm and cvs lately.
> > For some reason, cvs-cur 2741 wouldn't apply (md5 checksum error in
> > pci.c, couldn't force), so I spent 30 hours re-rolling my tree from
> > cvs-cur 380a.  Then I updated my build tree, and make world has just
> > died while running sys/conf/newvers.sh.  On closer examination, this
> > file contains:
> >
> >   #     @(#)newvers.sh  8.1 (Berkeley) 4/20/94
> >   <<<<<<< newvers.sh
> >   #        $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.22 1995/11/10 21:52:59 joerg Exp $
> >   =======
> >   #     $Id: newvers.sh,v 1.29 1996/11/26 06:55:35 ache Exp $
> >   >>>>>>> 1.29
> >
> >   TYPE="FreeBSD"
> >
> > Now it definitely didn't do that a couple of days ago, and rcsdiff
> > shows that that's not what's in the repository, either.  Of course, my
> > update list has long since scrolled off the top of the screen, so I
> > can't check the error messages, but this happens often enough (about
> > every two months) to be annoying.  Where does this come from?
>
> Have you applied any patches or changes to sys/conf/newvers.sh that
> haven't come from the CVS tree?
>
> I've had the same problem when testing out some of Justins aic7xxx
> driver changes and hacking around a little on my own.  When doing
> a "CVS update -P -d src", I would also stop in the middle of a
> make with errors caused by the same CVS "diffs" you show above.
> I scanned the CVS man page, but ended up deleting the affected
> files, and doing another update which fixed the problem.

Hmm, I have seen various problems with some of the bigger CTM
patches (esp. those that touch all files), this triggers our
old well known (but not understood) vm problem, that manifests
itself as an bogus diskblock (one page), that will disappear if
the disk is unmounted & then mounted again 95% of the times, the
last 5% that invalid block will have been written back to disk :(
It seems that my systems has been suffering pretty bad from this
over the last ~14 days or so. I have one workaround for this:
mount the disks via nfs and do the update from another machine,
this fixes the problem, but is dog slow....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..