Date:      Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:18:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, wood@freeq.com
Subject:   Re: 3.1 UNstable

> My business partner just spent three hours trying to install 3.1 STABLE
> onto a new system, and always got "bad format" errors (or something
> similar) when we tried to load the kernel upon boot.
>
> When we switched to the 3.0 CD-ROM, the system loaded and booted fine.
> In every case, we used the "minimum" configuration. My partner and I
> have both performed dozens of successful installations in the past, both
> via net and CD. I can only assume that 3.1 STABLE is not suitable for
> release.
>
> BTW, I cam currently not on this mailing list, so please reply
> privately, or tell me where I can find a web archive. Thank you.
>
> Brian D. Woodruff

 Brian -

   It's not quite clear what you're looking for when you say
 "web archive" - but I think you might find what you're looking
 for at http://www.freebsd.org

   However, when you get "bad format" errors; can you be more
 specific... exactly when did this happen?  On booting the floppy,
 or after a succesful installation?  Can you describe the hardware?
 (You mention it is a new system....)

   Perhaps with some information in-hand, someone will recognize
 the problem, and you'll not have to spend too much more time on
 it...

	- Dave Rivers -