Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:00:43 -0500
From:      Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   var partition is too small

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

hi all

the var partition on my apache box may be too small.
this is a problem because -=20
i originally had newsyslog set at

/var/log/httpd-access.log               644  7     100  24    B /var/run/ht=
tpd.pid 30

which sets httpd-access.log to be rotated in binary format everytime it rea=
ches 100 mb or once every hour for 24 hours.
which basically means we only archive less than a day's worth of httpd-acce=
ss.log's on this machine...

the /var partition on this machine is 252 mb.

yesterday i was told asked to start archiving httpd-access.logs for analysi=
s over longer periods of time - that i should be keeping a year's worth of =
logs, if possible.  i remember the original reason i set up newsyslog.conf =
to rotate httpd-access.logs on this machine so frequently is because the we=
bserver is really busy, and this file tends to grow pretty rapidly, and i d=
idn't want to have to log in, stop apache, and archive the logs by hand eve=
ry day...

yesterday i looked into expanding the size of my /var partition by symlinki=
ng.

-drop to single user mode
-stop syslogd
-mv /var to /usr/var
-umount /var
-delete /var directory
-create symlink from /usr/var to /var

it seems easy, and i did it successfully once, but i hosed a (non)productio=
n box yesterday practicing the above procedure.

i have a number of questions:
-if i copy the contents of /var to /usr/var, then delete the var directory,=
 do i need to modify my fstab?

my fstab right now looks like

/dev/aacd0s1g           /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/aacd0s1e           /var            ufs     rw              2       2

-do i need to modify this so that /var now points to a directory inside /us=
r? and how?
-i'm thinking that this may be too risky a procedure to try on a production=
 box (i guess i'm spooked from ruining the practice box...) - anyone think =
i should just archive these logs by hand to someplace in my home directory =
(/usr is very large on this box - 65 gb - and hardly used)?  my goal is bas=
ically to keep an archive of httpd-access.logs for as long as possible to p=
roduce a comprehensive webalizer report...

thanks again

redmond

--=20
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p5 FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p5 #0: Wed Sep 24 09:12:23 CDT 2=
003
 8:30AM  up 1 day, 17:54, 2 users, load averages: 0.61, 0.58, 0.55
=20
Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design.  Unlike most
automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gauge, nor any of the
numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver.  Rather, if the
driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the center of the
dashboard.  "The experienced driver", he says, "will usually know
what's wrong."
=20

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg--