Date:      03 Feb 2006 07:21:16 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Eric Schultz <eric@schultznet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I download an older version of PDF Handbook

Eric Schultz <eric@schultznet.ca> writes:

> I don't have access to my FBSD machine right now, only my WinXP
> machine; and I'd like to get an older version of the Handbook that
> matches my FBSD machine (4.7, but lets say 4-STABLE).  I've Googled,
> Gmaned, visited the ftp site and browed the CVS web interface
> (thinking I might find RELENG_4 SGML source) without any success.
>
> I would prefer a PDF version but I suppose I could follow the steps to
> generate one from the SGML ('cept I have to be able to get the SGML
> version from my WinXP box).

A newer version of the Handbook won't necessarily have less information
relevant to your system; just more information relevant to later
versions.

I suppose the easiest way to do it would be to extract it from the docs
collection of an install disk.  You'll need a tar program for your
Windows box and a program that understands the compression scheme used
on the tarball.  The tarball is split(1) into a bunch of files for
packaging convenience, but I think the Windows "copy" command can handle
that.