Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:42:44 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        screwinup@aol.com (Screwinup), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anarchists decry 72lbs plutonium launc

> >      On Oct. 6, NASA will launch a space probe containing 72 lbs. of
> > plutonium. This is the 24th launch containing plutonium. Three have failed
> > and two have burned up leaving 1 to 3 lbs of plutonium dust in the
> > atmosphere. That will cause untold people to get lung cancer years hence,
> > but may already be causing decreased immunity we perceive as "new
> > diseases" or old ones coming back.
>
> Ah, uunet, how we've missed ya'...

We have?

> Plutonium is a metabolic poison; it interferes between stage 2
> and stage 3 of the Krebbs cycle.  If you were going to be dead from
> it you would be dead already.  Take an elementry biology course.

My SO (biotech) thought this was kinda funny too.  Mind you, you could
argue that depending on which isotope is in question, the radioactive
decay activity _might_ pose a cancer risk.  Decreased immunity, OTOH,
isn't an issue.  (Wrong material, try iodine.)

> Finally, the waste materials from a coal or petroleum fired power
> plant don't break down, period, unless acted upon by a highly
> energetic process.  One taking more energy than was originally
> produced (it's called "entropy", kids); take an elementry chemistry
> course.  Nuclear waste is only toxic for 50,000 years (or less),
> a far cry shorter than forever.

This is oversimplistic; the ultimate waste materials in question here
are hydrogen, carbon and oxygen (don't get too carried away about the
trace junk 8), and these _are_ recombined as part of the biosphere
energy cycle.  The only problem is that the cycle time is a bit long
given our rate of consumption.

> PS: any takers on a guess as to whether or not 72lbs is over critical
> mass for Plutonium?

My understanding (Brian Handy, are you listening here?) is that the
plutonium is used as a heat source to provide electrical power.  I have
a hard time imagining 30+ kilos of the stuff being required for
anything on the scale of a satellite.

mike