Date:      Sat, 01 Dec 2007 12:19:16 -0600
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "Ross Penner" <ross.penner@gmail.com>, "User questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Diagnosing an unstable machine

At 11:42 AM 12/1/2007, Ross Penner wrote:
>I'm currently using FreeBSD 6.2 to run as a fileserver and gateway for my
>home. It's been incredibly unstable and I'm trying to figure out why. What
>can I do to try and figure out what is causing these crashes? Apparently the
>machine just rebooted 20min ago looking at the uptime. They're seemingly
>random to me as there is definitely no usage pattern that is obviously
>bringing these crashes about. Any help I could get would be greatly
>appreciated.

The first thing I would do is make sure you are running 6.2 release with
the generic kernel.

Look at the last log entries prior to a crash for all the logs in /var/log

Run any diagnostics you have for the hardware (motherboard, memory, hard
drives, NIC.)

Check your dmesg hardware found to the supported hardware list.

If you are still getting random crashes, post back with your dmesg output
included.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.