Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2013 16:14:26 +0000
From:      Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
To:        Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk>
Cc:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Thomas Mueller <mueller23@insightbb.com>
Subject:   Re: Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

On 2 January 2013 16:05, Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk> wrote:
> Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2 January 2013 06:26, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To clarify, no-one wants to remove CVS completely, the suggestion was
>>> move it out of the base system.
>>
>>As the developer responsible for this:
>>
>>CVS will be removed from base.  It already exists as a port in
>>devel/cvs
>
> Will svn be added to the base? Not long ago I run into an issue when tryi=
ng to downgrade my system to 9.0.

> After I noticed how majority of ports were broken due to changes in the l=
ibc I decided to back out by fetching 9.1 release just to learn that svn do=
es not work as well. There were a lot of dependencies I decided to use port=
upgrade which required me to recompile ruby. After that it was a lot of com=
piling (for example Apache because apr was broken). Having svn in the base =
would save tons of time in my situation.

It certainly wouldn't, it would mean that instead of only building
when you installed the port, it would build with every buildworld :)

http://svnweb.FreeBSD.org/base/user/des/svnsup/

needs fixing if you're feeling brave.  It won't be easy, however.

Chris