Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 11:10:19 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        wayne.pascoe@ehsrealtime.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ext2 support on FreeBSD

wayne wobbled,

> Hi all,

Hi, wayne :)

[hey, we go through this at my twelve-step meetings for recovering
lawyers, too :) ]

> I'm trying to mount an ext2 parition (all my .ogg's) on FreeBSD. I
> have added the line from LINT to my config as follows :

> options         EXT2FS                  # EXT2 filesystem support

That should get you there.

> Looking at the disk with fdisk, I see

> # fdisk /dev/ad7

ad7 ??? isn't that the second ide drive on the fourth controller???

> sysid 131,(Linux filesystem)
>     start 14346045, size 25832520 (12613 Meg), flag 0
>         beg: cyl 893/ head 0/ sector 1;
>         end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63

so you're withing 1023 cylinders.  Will linux boot?  ANd what does the
freebsd bootloader tell you for that partition?

> Looking at ad7s2 with disklabel gives me
>
> #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
>   c: 25832520        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 1607)
>   e: 25832520        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192    16   # (Cyl.    0 - 1607)

Could this be leftover?  If ad7s2 is a linux partition, it shouldn't
even have a bsd type disklabel, should it?  Nonetheless, I think I've
gotten reading like this when I've asked about somewhere where there
*used to* be a bsd slice.

> Where has my Linux partition gone? The fstype listed here is
> 4.2BSD... Trying to mount this gives me

> # mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad7s2e /mnt
> ext2fs: /dev/ad7s2e: No such file or directory

I think you need to mount ad7s2, not s2e.  2e would be a partition
within a bsd slice.  If you managed to create a linux partition there,
I think you'd have to engage in strange contortions to get linux to
find it . . .

hawk

--
rm -rf /bin/laden  Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.  /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail