Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:42:06 -0800
From:      Michael Shafae <mshafae@fullerton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware Suggestions

Hi List,

I have a modest budget (less than $4K) to purchase a server that I
would like to run FreeBSD on. I am an educational customer so I can
get a little bit of a discount.

I need a system that will act as a host for my subversion repository
and as the 'lab' web server (mix of static and dynamic pages) for me
and my students. I will also need to use the system to host MySQL and
PostgreSQL databases for students when I teach database courses. On
occasion, a little bit of number crunching (triangular mesh
processing) is done but nothing too terrible.

I would like at least 4GB of RAM and at least two CPU cores. My
storage needs right now are modest (10 GB) but I expect this to grow
by at least 1 GB per semester.

Currently I'm eyeing a Sun Fire X4200 M2, HP ProLiant DL365 or a Dell
2950. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions I would greatly
appreciate it.

Michael