Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:39:23 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Victor Wang" <mextor8@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing XFree86

Well, BTW, that last comment is obvious, and that's OK with me, but
don't be surprised when you get treated like one, and that means
rather roughly by some folks.

Please hit your 'return' key after every 70-80 characters so that
the lines are not so long.  There is a pretty good explanation of
why at Greg Lehey's site www.lemis.com.  Look for a file called
email.html (perhaps, haven't been there in a while.)

Second, you sent HTML enabled email.  This also causes grief to
a lot of UNIXers.  Mark questions@freebsd.org as "plain text only"
in your Windows Address Book and people will treat you much
nicer, generally speaking... (hopefully?)

Third, and finally a real answer ;-)  read the handbook
(www.freebsd.org/handbook/) and you'll find that the
number in ( ) after "every command" is to indicate
whether they are referring to a shell command, system
call, environment variable, name of a program, or
whatever.  There are 8 categories, but I've
never gone to the trouble to memorize them.
As I said, check the handbook.

Finally, the X Window System.  This is quite complicated
--- if you're really a newbie I'd just get the system going
with a good shell first.  After that, I'd try to 'make' in the
proper subdirectory in /usr/ports (you did install the "Ports
Collection" when you were using /stand/sysinstall, didn't you?)
You definitely need to read the handbook on this one.  You
can even fetch a copy to read from within windows --- it's
in a lot of formats---the .rtf one is pretty in Word or Wordpad
or whatever.  FTP to ftp.freebsd.org and look in the 'pub/Freebsd/
doc' directory.  The X Window System has a chapter around
#9-10 or so.

To sum up, here's your newbie lessons (and I've tried to
 be NICE   ;-)

   1.  Wrap your lines!
   2.  Email in plain text to the lists!
   3.  Read the Handbook!, and
   4.  Read the Handbook some more.

Best of luck with FBSD, and don't let us turn you off....

KDK