Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:35:19 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Steven G Kargl <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        phk@ref.tfs.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: install compressed binary patch

>>    Keep in mind the following when using gziped binaries:
>>
>> 	1) The file is paged from swap, not from the executable. This means
>> 	   you'll need a lot more swap space.
>
>Do you have some rule of thumb?  I usually go with 2 * RAM, but if this
>is not sufficient what is necessary.

   No, 2*RAM will no longer be enough if gziped binaries are used much. How
much more space you'll need depends on how many you have, how large they are,
and how often they are used.

>It seems illogical to me to have the capability to run compressed binaries,
>but require a post system installation compression of binaries to regain
>some disk space:

   The gzip binary idea was added so that we could fit more on the install
floppies. I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that you might want to use
this to compress your system binaries to save hard disk space. This doesn't
seem very wise to me.
   The only reason I've said anything at all about this is that I'm concerned
about the potential for future bugs reports from people that don't understand
the ramifications involved with using gziped binaries.

-DG