Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 15:28:10 -0500
From:      MIKE JENKINS <jenkins.mike@epamail.epa.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stealth Firewall

Is it possible to slip a FreeBSD box between a router and a LAN
to provide IP filtering and not change any IP addresses/netmasks?
In other words, change this:

  (Internet) ----- |Router| -----LAN-----
                            200.1.2.0/24

to this:

  (Internet) ----- |Router| -----LAN----- |FreeBSD| -----LAN-----
                             200.1.2.0/24            200.1.2.0/24

FreeBSD will have to either bridge or do proxyarp to help hosts on either
side reach hosts on the other side. (Is this what arpproxy_all="YES" is for?)
Bridging would be preferred so the arp tables have the true MAC address
of a host rather than the FreeBSD MAC address for proxies.

Mike

P.S.  I know the new version of drawbridge does this (via bridging)
      but I want the filtering capabilities of ipfw or IPfilter.