Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 03:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/21443: I'm tired of telling people how to copy a disk.

The following reply was made to PR docs/21443; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To: Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org,
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:27:46 -0500 (CDT)

 Oliver Fromme writes:

 > For what it's worth, cpdup works perfectly fine to copy a
 > disk (or any directory tree), even the root FS.  It's easier
 > to use and more efficient than dump/restore, and it's not
 > restricted to whole file systems.  Therefore I'd suggest
 > mentioning cpdup in this FAQ section (unfortunately I'm not
 > a native English speaker, otherwise I'd try to formulate
 > an appropriate paragraph myself).
 >
 > cpdup is in the ports collection in the sysutils category
 > (I really wish it was in the base system).

 Since I don't use it, I'm not really willing to recommend it myself
 (ditto for pax and cpio). For a number of reasons, I won't recommend
 using it on the root fs.

 So how about adding a sentence along the lines of "You might prefer
 cpio(1), pax(1) or cpdup (in ports/sysutils/cpdup) to tar." at the
 appropiate point?

 	<mike