Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2006 13:33:59 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VoIP behind NAT and FreeBSD

Kurt Dethier wrote:
> Derrick Edwards wrote:

>  >>
>>> It is entirely possible to use voip behnd symmetric nat, but it also
>>> entirely depends on the setup, some more details will help.
>>>
>>     Hi, I am not sure of your setup either, but I have Vongae working
>> behind a FreeBSD Firewall/Router using PF with NAT.
>
> Hi all,
> It is very possible to use VOIP behind a symmetric NAT, but STUN is not
> going to be any help. Depending on the setup and clients I have
> implemented a number of solutions over the past years.
> Unfortunately I haven't found a single solutions that always works.
>
> Kurt

Forgive me if I'm not understanding the issue properly, but don't you
have port-forwarding setup on the FreeBSD box for the machine that you
are trying to use VoIP with? It seems like the problem would *sort* or
be that simple to solve, unless the VoIP setup uses a P2P type
configuration where it picks multiple ports for listening and
transferring data.

Maybe it's just my misunderstanding of VoIP..
-Garrett