Date:      27 Mar 2002 13:26:49 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu>
Cc:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.2 port is a horror!!

mpd <mpd6334@cs.rit.edu> writes:

> If done correctly, there is no need to reinstall anything.
> The best way I've found to upgrade is to deinstall your old X

But doesn't your "deinstall" step remove directories where other
X11 applications have files installed?  I think the need to reinstall
those other X11 applications is what the OP was complaining about.

I suppose that he (and I) need to learn how to keep other applications
from putting stuff in those directories, but that's a lot easier said
than done.

And isn't it rather wasteful to rebuild font directories with every
XFree upgrade?