Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:41:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
To:        louie@TransSys.COM (Louis A. Mamakos)
Cc:        dima@best.net, tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net, trost@cloud.rain.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

Louis A. Mamakos writes:

> > > So, chmod 440 /kernel on *your* system.
> > >
> > > And how many cases are there where other programs installed on the system
> > > need to read the kernel namelist?  You'll break those by making a change
> > > in the distribution.
> >
> > Every program that needs to have an access to the kernel namelist needs to
> > be sgid to kmem (if it's not already sgid to root). Otherwise it won't be
> > able to do _anything_ with this information.
> >
> > Which means - this change is not going to break anything.
>
> By this reasoning, there's no point in removing read permission either.

Of course there is. Because user doesn't need to have this information.

> Perhaps I'm looking at the symbols debugging a problem?  Or because

You must be kidding. You don't have a root access on some machine and
you're looking for the kernel debugging information on it???

> I'm curious how the kernel was configured, so I do a
>
> 	strings /kernel | egrep '^__'
>
> to get the file fed to config(8) and embedded in the file?

Ask sysadmin.

> > > Hmm.. I found exactly 1 - suidperl.  This is hardly a compelling argument
> > > to change a well established convention.
> >
> > What about suidperl?
>
> Yeah, what about it?  A more likely example would have been a program
> with some password embedded within it.  We don't see to have any of
> those.

Ahh, that's what you've meant. I thought, you were saying that 0440
permissions on kernel will break suidperl.

> > > I don't dispute the utility to some for changing the permissions on the
> > > /kernel file, but it's just not clear this is a universally good idea.
> > > Next thing you know, you'll want to chmod 440 /etc/rc.conf :-)
> >
> > Changing permissions on rc.conf won't do _any_ good.
>
> And removing read permission from the kernel does?
>
> This all seems like FUD.  You seem to have unspecified reasons why
> you don't want your users to look at the symbols on your kernel.  I
> suggest you remove read permission on your machine.  It seems that the
> potential downside of removing read permission is greater than the
> unspecified gain of doing so.

There's no potential downside. Or you can call having a root password
a potential downside, because qurious user won't be able to see your
configuration.

-- dima