Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2013 17:17:46 +0700
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fusefs-kmod does not work on 8-STABLE?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 12:27:10PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> I've got puzzled with the fact that fusefs-kmod apparently does not on
> recent 8-STABLE: it builds and loads, but I don't see normal "fuse4bsd:
> version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.19" like I do on 9-STABLE (installed on the
> same laptop with almost identical kernel config).
>
> The result is that /dev/fuse0 never gets created, and any fuse mount
> attempt results in this message:
>
>   fuse: failed to open fuse device: No such file or directory

I've traced the problem down a bit, it seems to be due to some weird
brokenness of building modules outside the kernel: .ko file loads, but
modevent() functions apparently does not execute at all.

Also, nvidia.ko can reveal this (or related) bug by spitting messages
like this:

  link_elf: symbol linux_ioctl_unregister_handler undefined

This behavior was reported by arundel@ back in 2009 on -current@, but
the root cause was never found.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-September/011975.html
http://markmail.org/message/7opthxniqc5ncv6h