Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:29:34 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual-Athlon vs Dual-PIII ... opinions?

----- Original Message -----
From: "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 8:46 PM
Subject: Dual-Athlon vs Dual-PIII ... opinions?

> I want to upgrade my Dual-Celeron machine to a Dual-?? and haven't got a
> clue which way to go ... AMD vs Intel ...
>
> AMD is cheaper but I've been 'Intel' since I started with computers
> ... any drawbacks as far as SMP under FreeBSD?  benefits?
>
> if I throw cost away, are the Intel's still the better choice for a Unix
> environment?  I heard somehwere that AMD was great for gamers ... but what
> about "real work"?

I think that you have to stick with the intel solution.  I went down the
non-intel road a couple of times and it never turned out to be a good thing
in the end.

I recently went in to upgrade my p2-450.  I had a dream of getting an athlon
with that new fancy 133 mghz FSB and ata/66 support and all that fun stuff.
I walked out with a p3-700 on a good old 440bx asus motherboard.  Yes, the
athlons were a little bit cheaper than the p3s, but then the motherboards
were more expensive.  When it came time to plunk down the hard earned cash I
had to go with what I knew....(but then, I'm still running 3.4, too!)

Josh
"Legacy Man"

> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick:
Scrappy
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org