Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:30:17 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        lawrence.petrykanyn@sympatico.ca
Cc:        sonicy@otenet.gr, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Disc Won't Boot

lawrence.petrykanyn@sympatico.ca wrote:
> So I burned another copy of the iso in FreeBSd with burncd using:
>   burncd -f /dev/acd1 6.2-RELEASE-i386.iso fixate
> and it booted just fine.
>
> Thanks for all of your suggestions and advice.  Now I will be spending
> the better part of the weekend doing the installation of 6.2.  Wish me
> luck.

Hurrah! :) Better part of a weekend, though? Oh well, mine not to reason
why...

It occurs to me now that under Win98 you would have had to use the ASPI
layer to burn your CD. Much as I loathe Nero, I found it was the ASPI
layer that caused my problems. The ASPI layer [for whatever reason]
tends to degrade over time until it's unusable. When I finally upgraded
my systems to Windows 2000, I was able to use the SPTI layer, which I
found far superior to ASPI.

It might be a good idea not to use Win98 for burning CDs any more. If
you did decide to use a more recent version of Windows, I can recommend
the freeware project Burnatonce, which is fully SPTI-capable.