Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 16:54:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      orville weyrich <weyrich_comp@yahoo.com>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

See below
--- Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thursday,  9 December 2004 at  7:06:35 -0800,
> > --- Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee> wrote:
> >> I once had a problem with *invalid* vinum drive

> > So the procedure that worked for you was???
> >
> > resetconfig

> This doesn't sound like what you want to do.  Which
> part of
> http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html is
> a problem for you?

The problem is that I have two subdisks, raid.p0.s9
and raid.p1.s4 that originally were associated with
the drive ahc0t15.  But when I try to add a new drive
with the name ahc0t15, it does not associate itself
with the two subdisks.  Trying to start the subdisks
gives the error:

vinum -> start raid.p0.s9
Can't start raid.p0.s9: Drive is down (5)

Dumpconfig shows that the drive associated with the
two subdisks is *invalid*:

sd name raid.p0.s9 drive *invalid* plex raid.p0 len
4402583s driveoffset 265s state crashed plexoffset 0s

but also shows the unused drive:

Drive ahc0t15:  Device /dev/da9s1e
                Created on bashful.weyrich.com at Wed
Dec  8 17:24:07 2004
                Config last updated Wed Dec  8
17:37:27 2004
                Size:       4512230400 bytes (4303 MB)

The procedure replacing-drive.html did work in another
case.  It doesn't seem to work here.

Is there some other way to tell vinum that drive
ahc0t15 should be associated with the subdisks
raid.p0.s9 and raid.p1.s4?