Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:05:26 -0500
From:      Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   java3d and mozilla

I just installed java3d and have been puttering around with it for
the afternoon (possible job opportunity using this stuff).  I found
that I was immediately able to use the install on the included demos
(ie, cd /usr/local/share/java/java3d/demo/HelloUniverse && java
HelloUniverse), but nothing would run in a browser.

Oddly enough something like appletviewer HelloUniverse_plugin.html
worked just fine but the browser just refused to give me anything
but a gray window with a small red x in the upper left corner.

Omitting the agonizing details of how I discovered this (and I still
don't know WHY this is so), the issue seems to revolve around the
existence of the file ~/.java/deployment/log/plugin142.trace !!  In
short, if it exists when the browser starts no applets can be run
properly in that browser (this only applies to java3d stuff).  My
work-around was to chmod 555 ~/.java/deployment/log so that the file
couldn't be created.

I don't have a clue why this is happening but I'm guessing I'm not
the only one -- or has no one else tried the plugin functionality?

I'm running 5.2.1-RELEASE jdk-1.4.2p6_4, linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.04,
java3d-1.3.1_1, javavmwrapper-1.5, and exactly the /etc/libmap.conf
contents suggested by linuxpluginwrapper-20040310_1 when installed
earlier.

Please let me know if anyone would like any more details about my
system.

Sean