Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:35:32 +0300
From:      "Ertan Kucukoglu" <ert@hotpop.com>
To:        "FreeBSD" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3.3 Installation problem (hangs after changing root device to fd0)

Hello,

At last I finished my 3.3 ISO image download. Burned the CD
tried to install fresh 3.3 FreeBSD.

But unfortunately I can not complete it. The installation is
comes to Kernel configuration. I make it. Save and continue.

System probes the devices. Comes to the point where it changes the
root device to floppy.

"changing root device to fd0" (may be I typed fd0 wrong?)

At that point it does not crash. My Num lock key lights are Ok.
But, it also does not boot. I waited well over 20 minutes. Nothing
happened.

After that I tried to install it on a different machine. Again it
come to that point and stop.

Searched a little and found the information below in updated
TROUBLE.TXT.
---
Q: My system hangs during boot, right after the "fd0: [my floppy
drive]" line.

A: This is not actually a hang, simply a very LONG "wdc0" probe
that often takes a long time to complete on certain systems (where
there usually _isn't_ a WD controller).  Be patient, your system
will boot! To eliminate the problem, boot with the -c flag and
eliminate the wdc0 device, or compile a custom kernel.
---

I am not sure if it is the same problem with mine. OS finds my fd0
it is the correct capacity (1.44").

Anyone can direct me to the related document or give me some
advice? My hardware configuration is given below.

Configuration of 1st machine:
Abit BH6 mainboard
Pentium II 266Mhz Intel CPU
32x2=64MB SDRAM