Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:50:40 +0000
From:      Stephen Allen <p0036343@brookes.ac.uk>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dangers of using a non-base shell

It's been drawn to my attention not to use bash from the ports
collection, because if one of it's dependencies (gettext or libiconv)
fails or is updated significantly, it could break, and prevent login.
The suggested solution was to use a base shell (such as sh) and append
'bash -l' to .shrc to automatically enter bash.

The quite annoying side-effect is having to type 'exit' twice to get out
of a su shell or screen.

Would it be a better idea to use the pre-compiled binary for bash?  And
if I did so, could I be alerted to updates as easy as using 'pkg_version
-v' when checking if any ports need updating?

Many thanks,
Steve