Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 17:52:43 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netstat problems.

Darryl Hoar schrieb:

> Greetings,
> I am running 4.0-release.  This machine is running userland ppp
> with -auto -nat flags.  It acts as a gateway to the internet for my
> LAN.  The link to the internet is a dialup and ip is dynamically
> assigned by ISP.
>
> My problem is that when I run netstat -r to examine the routing
> tables, the command hangs and never responds.  After a couple
> minutes I control C to kill it.  If I reboot, same story.  Maybe a
> line or two, but never completes and takes me back to the
> command prompt.
>
> Any ideas what's up with this ?

You have not setup our nameserver properly. netstat -r tries to reverse
lookup the names for all the machines in the routing table. Each lookup
times out after about a minute. Even if you have only minimal entries in
your routing tables, lookups need a couple of minutes to time out.

A simple workaround is to use netstat -rn instead: this way netstat uses
IP numbers instead of names.

HTH
-Christoph Sold