Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 22:24:08 +1200
From:      kit <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        Mac <mac@ngo.org.uk>
Cc:        Christopher Harrer <charrer@alacritech.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kit.mitchell@team.xtra.co.nz
Subject:   Re: Mounting a SMB file system

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 09:29:08AM +0100, Mac wrote:
> Christopher Harrer Wrote
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to mount a file system specifying '-t smbfs' without any success.
> > I've tried finding information on the SAMBA site as well as the BSD site and
> > I can't seem to find any.  Can anyone please provide some pointers or help?
> > I can mount a "network" drive on my FreeBSD box from WinNT clients, I need
> > to be able to go the other way as well.
> >

> I think you'll find that 'smbfs' is only supported in Linux Kernels (and
> by all account you want a really recent 2.2 kerenl if you can get it.)
>
> For use on other plkatforms (like FreeBSD) you could try 'smbsh' from
> the Samba distribution ( ports/net/samba ) or have a look at 'Sharity
> Light' (which used to be called Rumba) ( ports/net/sharity-light )  See:-
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/ports
>
> and search for 'sharity' or 'samba'.

Try

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~bp/smben.html

I tried it a couple of months ago and it worked very nicely.  Unfortunately
I've been stuck with an other OS since and I have no need of it at home.
I was using it to grap a bunch of reports from an NT box to drop on to
an apache server, with a couple of hiccoughs that Boris fixed, to do with
NT's behaviour.

soon now the daemon will return

--kit