Date:      Fri, 8 Apr 2005 08:41:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ean Kingston" <ean@hedron.org>
To:        Bj&#246@example.com, "rn" <K&#246@example.com>, "nig" <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting /tmp with noexec

> Hello,
>
> I wonder if it is safe to mount /tmp with noexec flag. I already discoved
> that I have to pay attention to this before installing a world, because
> this task requires to execute binaries in /tmp. Are there any further
> pitfalls which I should take into account or even could keep me from doing
> this?

I haven't seen a reply to your query so let me say that I have mounted
/tmp noexec for years and the only problems I've had were the installworld
problem you mentioned and a few badly written 3rd party installers that
expect to be able to execute from /tmp. I also mount /tmp nosuexec and
async. Sometimes after a system crash I have to rebuild /tmp because of
the async but the systems just don't crash that often.

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org