Date:      Fri, 08 May 1998 19:33:59 +0100
From:      Matthew Sharlot <matthew@federal.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hmm!

Hi,

I have recently set up my own name server and have a couple of queries.
Firstly, since having set up the ns, I cannot get communicator 4.05 to
run properly unless I have first established a PPP connection. What
happens is communicator seems to hang and I cannot even kill the
process. I also get a message  /etc/spwd.db: Invalid argument. Any
suggestions? I know it isn't  a big problem, but it means that I have to
be online all the time I'm writing e-mails which isn't very cost
effective.
Secondly, I assume that having set up the ns there must be a local cache
of addresses somewhere, to save having to look up the same addresses
again and again. Any idea where this is and whether it is readable or
not? I really just want to see that what I have set up is working
correctly. I have deleted /etc/resolv.conf to make sure that I'm not
using my ISP's name servers and everything seems to work O.K. I just
really want a final bit of reassurance.

Thanks in advance

Matthew