Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:23:50 -0800
From:      Vincent Janelle <random@carnagecopia.com>
To:        Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>
Cc:        culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org, hlwatts@hiwaay.net, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SGI Visual Workstation 330

--=.6BDWsCclQSYw,I

Yeah, after spending the required 10 seconds to look on the internet, this
motherboard appears to be powered by the VIA apollo chipset.

I've got a couple of machines running these and they appear to be stable, but
they're not exactly high-use machines.

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:02:39 -0600
Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org> wrote:

> The SGI VW series is confusing, fer sure.  Vincent is thinking of the VW
> 540 and 320, which were truly amazing non-standard boxes that died
> their deserved death.  (Their internal design was more like the O2 than
> like a standard PC.)  You will have poor luck running anything but NT on
> the VW 540/320, even Linux doesn't have all the necessary hacks (and it
> doesn't have accelerated drivers for the graphics, which are the only
> thing that makes the machine special).
>
> The 330, on the other hand, is a much more standard PC-like box with AGP
> graphics and a fairly standard BIOS (I believe).  These boxes didn't
> require any freaky special HAL, they run bog-standard NT and Linux.  You
> will probably have decent luck getting this board running under FreeBSD.
--=.6BDWsCclQSYw,I

--=.6BDWsCclQSYw,I--