Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:15:37 +0600
From:      "Alex Markov" <alex@asdg.ru>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Some questions from Siberia. ;-)

Hi, All!

First of all, i have to make excuses for my ugly English, so
it's quite possible that you need in some kind of "telepathy"
to understand my questions. Sorry once more time.

Also i have to notice, that reading freebsd-stable and freebsd-bugs
and freebsd-announce and freebsd-security (you tired? me too!) takes
up to a quarter of my work-time. :-(  I think, one more list - and
i'll become fired! Please, CC: me, if you are going to answer.

Finally, i would like to ask you shortly explain all "pro" and
"contra" in your answer, 'cos i want to _understand_, not simply
to know (if it's possible, of course ). Thanks in advance!

1. I heard, that "dangerously dedicated" disk are deprecated now.
Does it mean, that dos-style partitioning is recommended even for
FreeBSD-only disks?

2. I want to install all frequently modifyed files (src, ports,
httpdoc etc.) on separate slice (f.e. - /arc). Which way is more
"correct" - change all paths in conf-n-sup files to /arc/something
instead of /usr/something, or just make symlinks from /usr/something
to /arc/something and leave all config files unaltered?

3. I can choose from Intel EtherExpress 100+, SMC 9432TX and 3Com
Etherlink III (3C590) to install. Which one is preferable (i mean
stability and performance) for FreeBSD?

4. Does it exist the "officially recommended" method for generating
customized sendmail.cf? Now i make it "by hands" (vi freebsd.mc;
m4 la-la-la > sendmail.cf; cp /etc/mail/), but it's seems a little
lame to me.

5. Is it possible to mount md0 (malloc disk) at boot-time using fstab?
I want to make my /tmp a little faster, but "man md" failed... :-(

--

WBR, Alex Markov (alex at asdg dot ru).