Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:13:20 -0400
From:      "Dylan Cochran" <heliocentric@gmail.com>
To:        "Rich Demanowski" <richd@richdphoto.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enabling sound?

On 7/22/06, Rich Demanowski <richd@richdphoto.com> wrote:

> > The driver isn't attached to the device, either because the pci id's
> > don't match or the card isn't using an emu10k* chip. Please type
> > pciconf -l -v and reply with the portion that matches the card.
> Well, I'm still not getting any further.  I pulled the SB Live! card out
> and enabled the on-board sound in the BIOS, to see if doing a kldload
> snd_driver would recognize *that*.  It doesn't.
>
> The on-board sound shows up like this in pciconf -l -v:
>     none12@pci0:16:1:       class=0x040300 card=0x2a3e103c
> chip=0x026c10de rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
>         vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>         class    = multimedia
>
> kldload snd_driver followed by cat /dev/sndstat yields:
>     FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>     Installed devices:
>
> just like before. :(
> ---------------------------
> Information I can glean from looking at the SoundBlaster card:
>     On the board:
>         Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
>         Model: SB0410
>     On the chips:
>        Creative CA0106-DAT LF (c) Creative Tech '02 C0524 KD692
>        Cirrus Logic CS4382-KQZ WAEXAR0452
>        WM WM8775SEDS 4AAADOG
>
> Everything else on there seems to be simple resistors, caps, and maybe a
> mosfet or three.
>
> Changing emu10k1.c so that the definition of EMU10K1_PCI_ID matches what
> pciconf -l -v found gets the module to recognize that there's a card
> there, and then it pukes on the ac97 stuff (which confuses me since this
> card claims to be ac97 compliant and the Cirrus chips is there ...)
>    pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xcf00-0xcf1f irq 18 at device 10.0 on
> pci3
>    pcm0: AC97 reset timed out.
>    pcm0: ac97 codec invalid or not present (id == 0)
>    device_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
>
> Looking through sound/pcm/ac97.c I can see that the reset() function is
> failing, and the id = line in the ac97_initmixer() function isn't
> recognizing the chip on the board.
>
> I got a SoundBlaster Live! because it was listed as a known working
> piece of hardware.  Apparently this is a newer version of the board that
> isn't supported yet.  Getting it to work is becoming a PITA beyond what
> I have the time and willpower to put in right now.
>
> Is there a piece of sound hardware I can just run down to CompUSA and
> buy, that I can drop in here and get this thing working with *today*?

Newer Audigy's use a completely different DSP chip then the older
SoundBlasters. The SoundBlaster brand is so vague now with regard to
the actual chips that it's misleading.

The el cheapo CompUSA brand card is iirc a very old and generic chip,
it's not the best quality wise but when I bought them months ago they
seemed to work with everything I threw at them. In all honesty I don't
remember testing them with FreeBSD, but it works out of the box with
BeOS R5, so I'd assume FreeBSD comes with the driver.