Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 21:48:16 -0700
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Hardware and Stuff

Hey all!

Well, in the newbies list there was a thread covering what people do with
their FreeBSD systems and on what kind of hardware that their currently
using with FreeBSD.  Actually, that thread was going on awhile back but
recently it occured to me that we should all submit what kind of hardware
we use with FreeBSD.

I mean, we should have a user data base listing the manufacturers and stuff
of the Hardware that we (as users) have found to work well with FreeBSD.
So say I have a Toshiba CDrom model number xxyzx that I find to work well
with FreeBSD, then I would submit that to the "Compatible CDrom Data Base".
 Of course that can work for motherboards, mice, scanners, add-in cards,
video cards, printers, USB, or whatever might work with FreeBSD.

I believe that this "database" would be a nice replacement, or enhancement,
for the current Hardware.txt for the FreeBSD releases.  If I was someone
thinking of installing FreeBSD and I find that other users have the same
hardware that I do that have reported to work with FreeBSD, then t would
make my descion to run FreeBSD alot easier.  Or, if I was someone that
already runs FreeBSD but decides that I wanted to upgrade my hardware, I
would easily turn to the Hardware database to see if anyone has good
reports on the Hardware I might want to upgrade to.

Ya know what I mean?  How does this idea sound?  I just wanted to through
the idea out there and stuff.

Take care guys,

Joey

PS:  Another neat idea is to list what people use their FreeBSD machines
for, such as servers, or workstations, or a mega-machine designed to come
up with plans to takeover the world.  "Are you thinking what I'm thinking,
Pinky?" ;)