Date:      Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:58:05 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, <jacks@sage-american.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printcap & Magicfilter

P. U. (Uli) Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de> types:
> Here is an alternative to typing all these configs manually:
> /usr/ports/print/apsfilter
> which is a printer configuration tool.

That's the one thing apsfilter does well. Unfortunately, it insists on
using apsfilter as the filter. This is a *much* heavier program than
magicfilter, and it insists that everything be turned into postscript,
then piped through ghostscript if necessary. This can cause printing
simple text files to fail on some printers and to be *much* more
expensive on most others. It also means you can't handle raw PCL or
PJL files with it, though that's not a big deal.

> It worked with all (o.k.: three, now a Deskjet
> 990Cxi) HP-Deskjets I have ever used. It was
> genuinely written for use with FreeBSD and they have
> online-manuals and mailing-lists (www.apsfilter.org).

Actually, it wasn't written for use with FreeBSD. It predates
FreeBSD. The current version may be maintained for FreeBSD, though.

> But be warned: if you say yes to all options it will compile
> about two dozens of print-filters for all purposes -
> including a complete tex/latex-package (which I started
> loving since). And: Andreas Klemm (the maintainer) wants you
> to send him a postcard to Germany.

That part magicfilter gets better. It detects what you already have
installed, and builds the filter to use them.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.