Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:54:10 -0700
From:      Kelsey Cummings <kgc@sonic.net>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Log Files - separated

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 02:45:38PM +1000, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im just wondering if anyone has been able to implement individual logs per
> domain when using the vhost.map type system....
>
> I have a virtual hosting box that has a bunch of sites pointing to 1 IP
> address. They are all sorted out from the httpd.conf file which uses the
> vhost.map file.
>
> But currently the access and error logs are all combined to
> /var/log/access-log and /var/log/error.log for every site. What I want to
> be able to do is make it so that each sites logs are saved in a set area in
> their own user directory.
>
> Is this possible with using vhosts, or do I need to map them out
> individually in the httpd.conf

You might try to split the logs up as part of rotation, that's what we
do at sonic.  With 3k domains on a server that means the webserver has
to have 3k open files _just for logging_

> Thanks
>

> Chris
>

> --
>      Chris Aitken - Administration/Database Designer - IDEAL Internet
>   email: chris@ideal.net.au  phone: +61 2 4628 8888  fax: +61 2 4628 8890

Kelsey Cummings - kgc@sonic.net         sonic.net
System Administrator                    300 B Street, Ste 101
707.522.1000 (Voice)                    Santa Rosa, CA 95404
707.547.2199 (Fax)                      http://www.sonic.net/
Fingerprint = 7F 59 43 1B 44 8A 0D 57  91 08 73 73 7A 48 90 C5