Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:58:23 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org, nate@yogotech.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for review: restart pccardd by SIGHUP

> OK.  This won't take into account device drivers that are loaded after
> pccardd gets into information, but will likely be enough to do the
> right thing.
>
> Hmmm, thinking in API terms...
>
> struct resource_usage {
> 	long	base;		// Base of resource to query
> 	long	length;		// Length of resource
> 	int	type;		// Type of resource
> 	u_int8_t *map;		// Map of resources in use.
> }

Great!

> You'd pass the base (0x240 in your example), the length (0x1bf) and
> the type SYS_RES_IOPORT if that's visible to userland.  map would
> point to an area that is at least 0x1bf bits long (or 56 bytes).  Bits
> in this range would be set when that resource is in use.  You could

OK, I can check map[i] != 0 if the resource is in use for each
8 bytes address.

> also get IRQs this way, which is bar far the most useful thing to do.
>
> Hmmm, come to think of it, you could use this just before allocating
> resources to the card too if you wanted to.  It would be the most
> flexible way to deal :-).

Maybe we can get away from resource management in pccardd eventually :)

> BTW, on the topic of IRQs, I have two questions.  How would you feel
> about making the default behavior of the pcic device to be polling
> rather than using an interrupt.  This is a simple change to the config
> file.  It should help on installations.  Second, I'd like make the

I prefer polling mode because it works in most of cases and user can
change to use interrupt easily by UserConfig or loader command.  I'm
having `device pcic0 at isa? irq 0' line in my config file for a long time.

> default for the pcic to *NOT* share interrupts.  You'd have to set a
> flag in the device to enable it.  This will also help people get
> things setup correctly.

I'm not sure about this, but I believe you :)

> I know that the default polling is dangarous because it increases the
> window of system hangs, but for system installs, this won't matter
> because one generally doesn't pull the plug and expect things to work
> :-)

I'm using my development laptop in polling mode, but no serious
problems so far in spite of hard testing :-)