Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2006 21:18:04 +0800
From:      "Sherry Zhang" <yuleopen@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portversion vs. pkg_version

Mr. Lee:

imho, portversion(uses the INDEX file to look up port versions) is
like the desktop search(searh an index file), and the pkg_version(
queries the port
versions directly) is like the find command(search the entire disk);)

use portversion instead, it's efficient cause it use port database.
however, it will take a long time using portsdb to update the database
file (the INDEX file) when you want to use portversion.

ps,i like your essays on GNU/Linux, LaTex, etc. and I gain a lot from them

Sherry Zhang