Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:51:56 -0600
From:      kris@grinz.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with MAIL, but not mail server software issue (very odd-please help)

Hi,

First of all, please reply directly to me, as I am not subscribed to the
list.  My email is kris@grinz.com .

I was running 4.1R and CVSUP'd my ports and the OS to 4.2STABLE.

I dont know if the upgrade to 4.2 caused the prob or something else..
anyway, here is "the deal".  I was running qmail and it worked fine until
the upgrade via cvsup to 4.2stable.   I thought the prob was qmail so I
switched to Postfix.  The guy that set it up for me is Freebsd/postfix
guru so I know its set up right.  Anyway, The actual problem is that, as
any user on the command line, type "mail [user]" to email yourself,
well, the message doesn't go anywhere... nothing added to
/var/log/maillog, nothing in the postfix queue, nothing anywhere.

 Incoming mail is fine so my POP users are not affected, since they do
not use this box as their SMTP server.  When mail comes in, it gets
logged in /var/log/maillog and shows postfix/smtpd, postfix/cleanup,
and then postfix/qmgr, and finally postfix/local.. so I know postfix isn't
the problem  - - so it must be a local config problem within the box/OS
itself.

So far, the only suggestion was for me to change
/etc/sshd/sshd_config to UseLogin yes, which someone else said that
fixed the same problem for them.  Unfortunately, that change didn't fix
my problem.

Sorry I have not included any more information.  I do not know how to
troubleshoot this problem and do not know what info I need to send
this mailing list in order to help you help me.  Though I'm not really a
newbie in the unix world, I guess I am still sort of a FreeBSD newbie.

Let me know what info would be helpful and I will provide.

Regards,

Kris