Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:16:50 -0800
From:      Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need emergency help with vinum

At 2:20 PM -0600 3/24/00, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>Vinum reports that a subdisk is in the crashed state. Is there any way to
>recover or am I screwed?

More information would be a Good Thing. What type of volume is it?
Mirrored? Striped? Concat? RAID-5?

If it's mirrored or RAID-5, you'll be fine prolly. From a previous
post (STFA is a good thing):

>  > 1) Drive fails (I unplugged the drive's power in my tests)
>  > 2) Shutdown
>  > 3) Plug new drive in (in same logical location, ie IDE master/slave,
>  > SCSI ID, etc). Make sure it's big enough!
>  > 4) Boot up
>  > 5) fdisk new drive (I use /stand/sysintall for this, and inital label)
>  > 6) (re)label new drive slice as Vinum (disklabel -e da?)
>  > 7) start vinum and issue "start mirror.p1" (for example, if a drive
>  > on plex p1 in volume mirror had failed)

Greg's comment was to make sure Vinum knows the new drive is there.
So step 6.5 would be to "drive b /dev/da1h" or whatever (just make
sure the drive name mimmicks your previous set-up).

I believe it's the same for RAID-5, but I haven't any experience with
it. STFA :-)

jon