Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 17:18:49 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net
Cc:        Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Root Login question

On 28-Aug-99 Mark Einreinhof wrote:
> I've noticed I can login as root when connecting with SSH on port 22. I
> can't do this when telneting normally.
>
> 1. Is this normal for SSH?

Yes. Telnet is insecure because people can intercept network packets being sent
between you and the FreeBSD box. All data sent over a SSH link is secure, and
hence it's OK for a root login.

> 2. How can I turn this root login on or off if desired?

All terminals can be either 'secure' or 'insecure' as defined in /etc/ttys

'secure' means that it allows a root login, 'insecure' means that it doesn't

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org>
FreeBSD UK User Group
http://ukug.uk.FreeBSD.org/~andrew/