Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:04:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thingie #1 - non-package updates

I generally use port-upgrade to update installed packages, and upgrade
-STABLE releases manually.  However, this leaves a gap when software that
is installed as part of the base system, like bind, has upgrade releases
that occur more frequently than the -STABLE releases.

What's the common resolution to this situation?  I'm concerned about
potential compatibility issues if I remove/ignore the -STABLE version by
using rc.conf to point at a port/package version.

TIA.

KeS