Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 14:10:36 +0200
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dstenn@fanfic.org, FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   jpeg shared libraries Was: enlightenment-0.13.3

Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * | +JPEG_LIB_VERSION=80
>
>  * I've made the change and is currently recompiling jpeg.  I'll keep you
>  * posted.
>
> For the umpteenth time: DO NOT MAKE THIS CHANGE.  Whoever keeps
> posting this bogus solution, please stop.  This is HARMFUL.
>
> Please try the latest jpeg port or package (preferred), and get back
> if that doesn't fix it for you.
>
> Satoshi (who really hates all CAPS but can't help)
>
> P.S. If you already made this change and recompiled jpeg, you need to
> delete the shared library (libjpeg.so.80.0 in /usr/local/lib) by hand.

OK, I won't!  :-/

Sorry, but I don't get it:

jpeglib.h

/* Version ID for the JPEG library.
 * Might be useful for tests like "#if JPEG_LIB_VERSION >= 60".
 */

#define JPEG_LIB_VERSION  62    /* Version 6b */

This is what the patch changes  (62 becomes 8, and 8 < 62, so the test
in the commment won't work anymore, and ports like xemacs failed for
me). I sent in a comment via GNATS (6357) and got the (false?)
impression that this was committed.

I don't have a /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.80.0, neither do I have
libjpeg.so.62.0

I dont't get. Please explain.  :)

/Palle