Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:06:51 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, Mattias Pantzare <pantzer@ludd.luth.se>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>, Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DoS from local users (fwd)

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I would note that BEST.COM has been running, effectively, public shell
>     systems for 5 years.  The last couple of years have been using FreeBSD.
>     It works just dandy.   We put 2000 users on each box.
>
>     Just because people aren't willing to spend thousands of hours making
>     the kernel handle every conceivable user abuse doesn't make the machine
>     a bad solution for a particular problem.  With that sort of attitude,
>     no operating system ever made could live up to your standards.  FreeBSD
>     does the things most easily handled in a kernel.  You, the sysop, are
>     supposed to do the things that are most easily handled by a sysop.  That
>     is inclusive of writing monitoring and kill scripts.

Ok, disclaimer in the vain attempt to prevent further replies. I
took an issue with blaming public shell accounts for perceived
problems with the way FreeBSD manages them. I do think FreeBSD, and
Unix, generally speaking, is one of the best deals available. It
could be improved, and it does require non-clueless sysadmins.
Saying "public shell accounts are a bad idea" is dismissing the real
issues, and blaming the messenger for the bad news.

What you, Dillon, were saying in the message quoted in the message I
originally replied to, is to the point. FreeBSD can handle it, as
long as the sysadmin knows what s/he is doing.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"nothing better than the ability to perform cunning linguistics"